Sunday, May 16, 2010

Happiness Spelt with a B


Babycakesnyc recently opened a shoppe in downtown Los Angeles. I must say that a bakery that's adjacent to skid row takes a certain kind of person to brave. One night a few weeks ago I tried going (as they're open until 10pm) but after circling the desolate block twice trying to find a safe place to park, I gave up. I figured going mid-day yesterday would be safer but still I had to keep avoiding a crazy yelling crack addict when I tried parking. I'm happy to say it was SO worth the risk.

They're a 100% vegan + gluten free + soy free + refined sugar free, spelt-flour bake shop. And before you go thinking how gross everything must taste, I'll tell you that EVERYTHING was delicious. Okay, I didn't have everything, but the 4 treats I did get were out of this world super fantastico.

The brownie bight was moist and chewy and so chocolaty my eyes almost rolled back in my head. The texture of the chocolate chip cookie was like silt... and just melted in my mouth. The bisquit with homemade blueberry jam was RE-DICK-YOU-LUS. Some jams are cloyingly sweet... but this one was subtle and light. The cinnamon bun was perfect with my cuppa joe this AM. All in all, a successful trip!

And BEFORE you go thinking I ate it all at once, I didn't. Mostly. I did drive back home with my fingers sticky from jam, but I paced myself and even have half of the cinnamon bun left for tomorrow's breakfast. Babycakes won't be a weekly destination, but if I happen to be downtown, I'll definitely stop over for a treat. The sweets were all so good, maybe they're actually made with crack. That WOULD explain their dodgey location. Hmmm...
-Catherine

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll buy you a treat there the next time we get to meet!

Deanna & Catherine said...

Fun! I'll drive! : )